CLICK to go back to HELP page
Resources for healthcare professional
1. Immunisation against Infectious Disease (The Green Book) Chapter 27 Rabies
2. Public Health England page on rabies with further information, including link to an e learning course, but for direct link click here. Guidelines relating to rabies risks in terrestrial animals, by country click here and PHE Guidelines on rabies post-exposure treatment (April 2016) here
3. Rabies: Guidance on Prophylaxis and Management in Humans in Scotland (from Health Protection Scotland) or directly here HPS Rabies country risk table click here or directly here
4. Useful leaflets/information for travellers
From: NHS Choices
5. POSTER regarding action needed if a traveller rings your GP surgery with concern re potential exposure to rabies - see item no. 16 in 'Tools'
Resources of interest from around the world
1. World Health Organization and WHO factsheet updated March 2016 WHO Map of countries or areas at risk 2013
2. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention Plus training on rabies (remember from a US perspective, slightly different guidance to the UK) click here and for useful children's education page click here
3. Global Alliance for Rabies Control and Global Alliance for Rabies Control Facebook page
Accessing rabies vaccine and HRIG around the world
Clinics around the world that stock rabies vaccine and rabies specific immunoglobulin found on the International Society of Travel Medicine website, but access is only available to members of this organisation at the current time.
Rabies in the News
1. You Tube video – documentary entitled ‘The Girl Who Survived Rabies’. The remarkable story of the first person to survive rabies without the aid of a vaccination, but subsequent testing of the same technique did not have such good result Click here. Also a very graphic video of a patient with rabies see here and a documentary from India here published in 2009.
2. Deaths in UK travellers returning home over the past few years see here, here and here
Tools to help
- in the communication of rabies risk to travellers - this is a short video on YouTube - click on left image below
- and the initial management of potential rabies post exposure risk in a GP surgery - this is a poster for surgery staff to raise awarenss - click on image on right below and go to item no. 16