CLICK to go back to the HELP page
This page is intended NOT to give any yellow fever advice but to direct you to the very helpful resources available online.
Yellow fever vaccine can only be given in a yellow fever centre. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland the responsibility for the administration of these centres is undertaken by NaTHNaC and in Scotland by Health Protection Scotland. However even if you aren’t a yellow fever centre, you still need some knowledge of the disease and its prevention to appropriately refer them on to a yellow fever centre if a traveller needs vaccination. In this situation is would be very helpful if you are directing your patient from an NHS setting, to provide them with a summary of their medical history, their medications and vaccination history to enable the receiving centre to perform a thorough risk assessment and give appropriate advice. An individual traveller may not always necessarily have an accurate recollection of these details and this could be important in the decision making process.
YELLOW FEVER RESOURCES from NaTHNaC
(please note below are just some of the resources but it would be useful to have a thorough look around the website)
- Becoming a yellow fever vaccination centre (YFVC) – here
- Managing your YFVC here (Please note, this is a very important section to read, especially ‘Conditions of Designation’ and ‘Code of Practice’. For example, if the person in charge of the YFVC i.e. the Responsible Supervising Clinician or RSC changes then NaTHNaC must be informed within five working days. If there is a breach in the conditions of designation, this may result in temporary suspension or de-designation with immediate effect).
- Training details for yellow fever here
- Medical letter of exemption here
- ICVP – how to order, complete and re-issue, including a sample of a completed ICVP see here
- Yellow fever information for travellers leaflet here
- Yellow fever maps here
- NaTHNaC yellow fever factsheet here
- Poster: Yellow Fever Vaccination – Valid For Life here
- Finding a YFVC in England, Wales and Northern Ireland
YELLOW FEVER RESOURCES from HEALTH PROTECTION SCOTLAND
- Yellow fever vaccination centre information from HPS here
- Registering as a new YFVC in Scotland here
- Resources for YFVC in Scotland here
- Ordering ICVPs if a YFVC in Scotland here
- Training for YFVC in Scotland here including the online training here (download the PDF from this page to undertake the training)
- Finding a YFVC in Scotland
YELLOW FEVER RESOURCES from the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION (WHO)
- Yellow fever factsheet here
- International travel and health page here
- Annex 1 – Countries with risk of yellow fever transmission and countries requiring yellow fever vaccination:November 2018 here
- Annex 7 (yellow fever): Amendment to International Health Regulations (2005) here. This is the document a traveller may sometimes be advised to travel with to reconfirm their ICVP remains valid, no matter when the YF vaccine was given
- Introductory level online course on yellow fever here
YELLOW FEVER RESOURCES from the CENTRES FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC)
- Yellow fever travel information here (Note this includes a very useful interactive map of the yellow fever in Brazil where you can identify exact locations and whether vaccine is advised according to the US recommendations).
- CDC Yellow fever website here
- Yellow Fever Vaccine Information for Healthcare Providers here (note this is advice from the US perspective and if working in the UK you need to follow our guidance).
Further addition resources
NHS Choices information on yellow fever
Resources by images